You know when the weather has been acting crazy and even though it’s the middle of summer you really want some comfort food? For me the answer was a huge pot of Cheesy Broccoli soup and yes it hit the spot perfectly. Also it was extremely easy to make and for some reason I cook like I have a family of 10 so bring on the leftovers for work lunches this week.
Seeing that this is my first recipe that I am sharing I want to let everyone know that I am not a stickler for exact measurements – so if you want a little more or less of a certain flavor, go for it! I think that’s the best part about cooking, you get to customize everything to your own personal taste.
Okay lets do this…
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 ½ cups carrots
- 1 ½ cups russet potato
- 1 cup yellow onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tbs chili flakes
- 4 tbs butter
- 1 ½ cup half and half
- 2 boxes (34 oz each) Chicken stock
- 1 cup flour (i use almond)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 strips of bacon
1.Prep veggies by cutting broccoli, carrots, potato all into small ¼ inch pieces. Also chop your onion and garlic cloves (they can go in the same bowl). Set all veggies aside.
2. In a large stock pot on medium heat crisp bacon strips (slice into 1 inch chunks) to your desire (they are for garnish on finished product) once they are done please set them aside.
3. Separate the remaining bacon grease into even halves – transferring one half to a medium sized saucepan.
4. In the medium sized saucepan add butter and melt on medium heat. Once butter is completely melted add onions and garlic. When onions are soft add flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add in your half and half. Continue to stir this saucepan on low heat while working away on the other ingredients in the stock pot.
5.In the stock pot add all of the chicken stock, bay leaves, chili flakes and bring to a boil. Add in potatoes and carrots, let cook for 5 minutes then add in broccoli. Let cook for around 10-15 minutes until vegetables are nice and tender.
6.Combine medium saucepan to large stock pot and stir completely. Add cheddar cheese and let melt completely (save a little cheddar for garnish), salt and pepper to taste. Let cook for 5 more minutes. Remove bay leaves.
7.Plate and garnish with bacon crumbles and grated cheese. I chose to pair with a toasted baguette.
Voila! Enjoy your yummy Hearty Cheesy Broccoli soup.